Monday, February 15, 2010

Wee Wee Pads: Not just for your pet!

A very good friend (and fellow Mommy) helped me to register at Babies R' Us before my baby shower last year. This proved so helpful for me since there were so many things I had no idea I would need! Not to mention that knowing the lay of the land of a Babies R' Us is information that will come in handy time and time again. That same friend came to my shower and brought me all the little items on my registry, including saline nose spray and mylicon gas drops, that most of my friends might not think to reach for (as opposed to those cute little dresses), but that any mom will be happily reaching for in their baby's time of need!

I have gotten great use out of most everything that I had registered for, but the items that are really worth passing on are those that I received at the baby shower that hadn't been on my list. One fellow Mom brought me a pack of Blue "Wee Wee" pads. If you've never had a puppy before, you might not be familiar with these, but they are basically large cotton squares that have a plastic lining on the back. They are meant to catch your puppy's piddles until they are potty trained. Once you've had a baby, these will be more familiar as the hospital uses similar pads when you are in labor. When I saw these pads, I thanked the mommy profusely and smiled as she explained that they were to be used as liners on Emme's changing table, but I honestly didn't think I would be putting them to much use.

Fast forward to those first days after we brought Emme home, and two or three accidents on that changing table later, and suddenly I was pulling those pads out of the closet! The pads are fantastic because they are absorbent and disposable and nice and big so that the corners can be used to wipe or cover your baby if you need a quick and handy towel. Not only that, but they fold up really tight and are easy to fit in a diaper bag or even a purse. They can be used on public changing tables and are great for traveling. Where they have been the very best is those changes in the car when there is a surprise dirty diaper; the white surface and flexibility that you can get from the cloth like pads ensure that you can see and contain any stray "contaminants"! My husband really liked having them because in those first days when he was still learning how to change diapers, he would get a lot of anxiety about getting the changing table pad dirty. Needless to say, we used every one of the pads, and were soon back at Babies R' Us, looking for some more. But here's the thing: Babies R' Us doesn't carry them! You will need to go to your local pet store to find a pack, which, if you don't have a pet, could definitely be a stop out of your way, but it is well worth it because you will use them!

One important note: If your baby is older and already rolling over, you may not be able to use these on your home changing table. We don't anymore because Emme likes to grab the corners and roll up the pads which makes things harder rather than easier!

1 comment:

  1. OMG!! Please don't buy pet wee wee pads in replacement of hospital grade pads for your human BABY!!!! Pet wee wee pads are sprayed with an attractant so that puppies can sniff out the pad and train to pee on the pads!!! This could be a hormone disrupter at its worst for your baby or at least, your baby gets pissed on by a family pet!! Hospital grade pads are made for humans. Pet pads are for animals!! Don't use one for the other.

    ReplyDelete